Monday, June 18, 2012

Sony releases Shemp Howard solo shorts with a catch

On June 5, Sony finally released the solo Columbia Shemp Howard shorts in a 3 disc set titled "The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault", along with the solo Joe Besser and Joe DeRita shorts, and the Stooges starring feature film, Rockin' In The Rockies.  There is one huge catch though.  At the moment it is only available as part of a 20 disc box set that collects the individual "Three Stooges Collection" volumes.  I bought all the individual volumes when they were released, as I'm sure most Three Stooges fans have.  But I want those Shemp Howard shorts on DVD. So, are we to be punished for being loyal customers?  Will Sony release "The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault" individually for those of us who already own the individual volumes, and do not want to rebuy them in a box set?

I sent an email to Sony:

Dear Sony,

I am a Three Stooges fan. I was thrilled when you released "The Three Stooges Collection". I have also been petitioning you to release the solo Shemp Howard Columbia shorts on DVD. I posted entries about it on my blog, www.shazamaholic.blogspot.com

 Now, you have as "The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault" , but as part of a 20 disc set. I already bought the individual volumes of the Three Stooges Collection. I do not want to buy the 20 disc box set. I just want to buy "The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault". Considering I am a loyal customer who purchased the entire Three Stooges Collection when they were released as individual volumes, I should not be punished by not making the Shemp Howard solo shorts available to me.

 I would appreciate it very much if you could reply to me, and let me know if and when The Three Stooges - Rare Treasures from the Columbia Vault will be sold individually.

I will be reporting about this on my blog.

Thank you very much for your time.

If you are a Stooges fan like me, who already purchased all the individual volumes, and just want to buy "The Three Stoogese -Rare Treasures From The Columbia Vault", you can email Sony at
consumer@SPHECustomerSupport.sony.com

I will keep you informed as to any response I get from Sony.

And don't forget to continue to write in to Warner Brothers, as they have 30 or so Shemp Howard solo shorts produced by Vitaphone to release on DVD. See the original post for details.

7 comments:

jim said...

Although, there has has been no date posted yet, have read on several reliable sites (Amazon, Classic Flix) that the Bonus set WILL eventually be available separately from the Ultimate box set. Hopefully, this is true & perhaps Sony will provide you with further info when they respond to your e-mail.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad that the Shemp Howard Columbia two reeler comedies have now been release finally on DVD for the first time ever, and how come Sony didn't included 1938's Start Cheering with Jimmy Durantee and Moe, Larry & Curly and of course the Stooges' apperanices in other Columbia features at the time as well.

DH said...

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the individual volumes as they were released. There are some pirated copies of the "Rare Treasures" volume popping up on Amazon and ebay, but they are overpriced... and, well, probably illegal. I hear a lot of fans are actually buying the box set, and selling, regifting, or donating thier individual volumes. I don't have the time or money to do that. The good news is "Rare Treasures" does have its own UPC number and bar code (043396399099), so there is a 90% chance Sony will release it individually sooner or later. My guess is it'll be at Christmastime. I'll just wait it out.

Shazamaholic said...

Anon, if I were in charge of the Rare Treasures volume, I would have left "Have Rocket Will Travel" off (give it its own release, like the other Joe DeRita features), and instead put in "Time Out For Rhythm", a feature film featuring Curly where the Stooges get a lot of screentime in a prominent supporting role. I also would have included just the excerpted Stooges scenes from thier other Columbia features ("Captain Hates The Sea", "Start Cheering", and "My Sister Eileen"), since between all three films, the Stooges' screen time is probably less that 30 minutes.

Jim and DH, let's hope you both are right about the eventual individual release! At this point I am just going to wait it out, also. No reply from Sony yet.

Anonymous said...

I've emailed Sony at the address above.

Hi Sony,

I've been a fan of collecting every Three Stooges movies/tv series. I've been disappointed to see Rare Treasures not being sold in any stores. We're being forced to invest into a Ultimate collection to obtain those? That's a disgrace to many Stooges fan that have brought every volume. I guess new fans get the best deals, than those who have invested into you for years buying individual volumes and sets. Thank you for not showing any care for those who were loyal to you in the first place!

Nyuk, Nyuk, no thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey,will this collection contain the rare Shemp solo film "Knife of the Party"?

Shazamaholic said...

Anon, no "Knife of the Party" was not a Columbia short, but it is available on the DVD "Shemp Cocktail".